Thursday, June 9, 2016

It’s a Small World After All….

We haven’t updated in a while and Matt wanted everyone to know he’s at the Bellevue Care Center, Room 107. It’s at the corner of Flatrock and Gardner Roads in Bellevue, OH, south of Route 20.  
He loves visitors!  

He told me today that being in the nursing home,  he realizes how small the world really is. He knows people that are also residents there and many of the employees -- he knows someone they know and he said “It really is a small world” and it’s just “really cool” to talk to so many people.  
What do they say, Six Degrees of Separation? (The theory that anyone on the planet can be connected to another though six or less people.)  I think he’s proved that in talking to people there!!

It’s been a bit of a roller coaster since he got settled in, while his “world” stays the same for the most part, changes are happening all around and he sometimes feels very isolated from the outside world.
MS has taken so much from him already and now he’s faced with the reality of the house he and Cindy called home, their little “O” Farm on Dining Road, will be sold.  Not an easy decision for sure, but way too much for Cindy to keep up and certainly understandable. Matt said he gets that.  Matt said “My world turned upside down”. It’s a lot to absorb, but he’s learning to accept it and while he understands it, it’s hard on the heart.  He told me “I’m trying to keep a good head on my shoulders, I had a few bad days, but trying to stay upbeat and positive.”  (Personally, I think that it’s a big reality to him that he won’t go “home” again…and that’s a tough pill to swallow). 

Matt’s had a few outings while he’s been there and really enjoyed the visit to the Trout Club. 
(He worked there when he was younger) and really enjoyed telling stories about that. 

One of the very awesome things is that they started an MS Support group last month and they will have another meeting on on June 22 at 10:30 a.m.  He said the Activities Director was the one that started it for him! If you are around that day, please come and show Matt O. your support!  (It’s at the Care Center)

All in all he is adjusting to life in the nursing home, he’s getting therapy, and said everyone has been very good to him. He really likes all of the people. 

He loves to have a diet pepsi and chat - It’s kind of “our thing” 

He said he likes the blog because “People want to hear what I have to say, I don’t really get it, but they seem to like it!” (You BET they do Matt O!)  He really loves the comments and we all will read them to him so please….comment away!! (If you haven’t done so, join our Facebook Group) 

3 comments:

  1. Matt, I can imagine how hard it is to stay positive with all these changes happening so quickly. It's only natural to have some down days once in awhile. I know I really enjoyed my visit with you last week. Matt, I think we like this blog because even though most of us reading it aren't going through MS, we are all going through something. When we read about your struggles and then how you face them, it gives us encouragement and makes us feel less alone with our own problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a great sis! I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through, but my heart and thoughts are with you. Yes, I'm a stranger - but I kind of know you through Kellie. Wish I lived closer, because I'd come hang out with you.

    ReplyDelete